You can find him at http://igortermenon.com/ or on instagram @igortermenon
Igor Termenon is a photographer and creative director based in Edinburgh who works across the UK and Spain. As well as shooting for clients such as Urban outfitters, Elle Uk, Nylon and ASOS he is also the co-founder of Future Positive (http://www.thefuturepositive.com/), an online platform for up and coming creative entrepreneurs. His hugely successful ‘girls/boys on film’ zine series has been featured in magazines worldwide, some of which include Vogue Girl Korea and Elle Japan, as well as the museum of modern art’s archive in NYC.
– Your series ‘girls/boys on film’ was a huge success, what would you site as your inspiration?
I started publishing ‘Girls/Boys on Film’ when I was studying my Master’s Degree in Product Design. Back then I didn’t really have much time to take photos and I wanted to still be involved with photography in some kind of way so decided to start a zine. For the first issue I got in touch with a few photographers I knew through Facebook and asked them if they wanted to collaborate and send their portraits of girls taken with film cameras – that’s how ‘Girls on Film’ started. After the first issues, I decided to publish an issue just with boy’s portraits to see how it would work and I kept publishing both ‘Girls on Film’ and ‘Boys on Film’. I decided to finish the project after 5 years but I consider it a great experience – I learned a lot from self-publishing and also from editing other people’s photographs.
You can find the series at: http://yp21c.com/sse/shop/ssebook.html, girlsonfilmzine.tumblr.com or on the official page https://www.facebook.com/Girls-on-Film-zine-194512250568940/
-Who would you state as creative influencers/ inspiration?
In terms of my photography work, I’ve always enjoyed the work of Tim Barber and Cass Bird – I really like how their fashion photography is very relaxed and looks more like a personal project rather than an editorial. There are also lots of new photographers I follow for inspiration such as Matteo Montanari and Angelo Pennetta.
– You studied a technical degree at University, what influenced the shift to photography?
I started taking photos when I was at university – my second year I think. I guess I wanted to find something creative to balance the technical load of my Industrial Engineering degree. I finished my Bachelor Degree but I knew that I didn’t want to work as an engineer so I decided to explore product design and, somehow, I’ve finally ended up working as a photographer and creative director. It has happened organically over the past years to be honest – I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason!
– What advice would you give to people starting off in the fashion photography industry?
I always tell people to take as many photos as they can – that’s the best way to improve. Also, being a fashion photographer requires lots of work and it’s not at all glamorous as some people might think. I probably spend 5% of my time shooting and retouching, and the remaining 95% sending emails to magazine editors and prospect clients. It’s also important to be mentally strong enough to confront rejection in order not to let it put you down.
– You are the co-founder and creative director of ‘future positive’ what is your long term ambition for the platform?
We don’t really have a plan but we hope the platform keeps on growing and we can share more inspiring stories of creative businesses across the world. Almost two years ago we started Future Positive Studio (http://futurepositivestudio.com/), which is the ‘commercial’ side of Future Positive, so we’re also trying to grow it and get more interesting clients to work with.
– What is your favourite camera to use?
I currently use two different cameras depending on the assignment. For my fashion work, I use a medium format film camera and sometimes I also use my 35mm compact film camera, which is the one I normally use for all my personal work. I’ve started shooting some work with digital cameras recently but I feel more comfortable with film.
– What kind of feeling do you want your photographs to have? What kind of style are you hoping to convey?
I hope my fashion photographs feel ‘relaxed’ and ‘natural’ when someone looks at them. I also hope that they’re intriguing and people want to know more about the stories behind them.